1931 Austin 7 Swallow - by repute the best in the world!
Reg. no. WD 2404
Chassis no. 124618
Engine no. 126067
The company that was to become Jaguar was founded by two friends, William Walmsley and William Lyons, in Blackpool in 1922. Initially named Swallow Sidecars, Walmsley had already been involved in the construction of sidecars, the company had become Swallow Coachbuilding by the end of the decade, reflecting their increasing involvement in car bodywork. The first car to be given Swallow’s own coachwork was the Austin Seven, not a surprising choice, as the small car was immensely popular at the time, so there would be a ready market, and Austin themselves were not at all averse to supplying bare chassis to external coachbuilders, although the company insisted on inspecting the finished cars to ensure they came up to Austin’s high standards of quality. The Swallow Seven, launched in May 1927, was deemed acceptable by Austin and thereafter went from strength to strength, the low price - £175 – meaning that it was extremely attractive to those who wanted stylish motoring without breaking the bank. Both saloons and open cars were available. Such was the demand for the car that Swallow quickly outgrew its Blackpool premises, and in 1928 the company moved to a larger site in Coventry. The increased space meant further diversification was possible, and Swallow were soon building bodies on Fiat, Swift and Standard chassis, among others. The humble Austin Seven, though, remained extremely popular. Around 3500 Sevens were given the Swallow treatment, until 1932 when the company started to focus on their own cars under the SS brand.
This 1931 Austin Seven Swallow was comprehensively restored in 2011; the result is a car that was described in the February 2013 edition of the “Jaguar Enthusiast” as “Reckoned to be the finest example of a Austin Swallow two seater to exist”. The restoration work included full rebuilds for the engine and gearbox, new brakes and hub bearings, new crown wheel and pinion, rebuilt wheels, the dashboard and instruments rebuilt, all the plating redone, a new exhaust made to the original pattern, a new radiator core, plus the bodywork all sorted and painted and a complete retrim. The car has covered about 2000 miles since the restoration and is said to be in good running order. It comes with a log book from 1955, a disc containing photos from the restoration, and a fitted dust cover, in addition to a V5c.
Extra details and estimates:
£50,000 - 60,000
Add to my lots