1926 Talbot 12/32 Type DC Berline - Property of a deceased estate
Reg. no. BF 4898
Chassis no. DC55167/7058
Engine no. 58206
The History of the Darracq Motor Company is long and complicated since its inception in 1896, the first cars being Leon Bollee\'s made under licence. Alexandre Darracq sold his business in 1902 to an English finance company and it was renamed A. Darracq and Company Limited. The headquarters of the Company was in Suresnes, Paris. During 1916 the Suresnes assets were transferred to Société Anonyme Darracq, a new company incorporated in France for the purpose, British assets were transferred to a company named Darracq Motor Engineering Company Limited. However in 1919, Darracq took over English Talbot and the resulting company merged in 1920, with Sunbeam, to form the Sunbeam Talbot Darracq group.
From 1920 Suresnes built cars were officially known as Talbot-Darracq up to late 1921 although those sold into the UK were badged as Darracq to avoid confusion with the English Talbot cars.
The DC range was introduced in 1923. The engine was rated at 12hp with a 1,598cc overhead valve engine. Unusually for this period the cars also had four wheel brakes operated by the rod and Perrot system. Initially manufactured with 6-volt electrics this was uprated to 12-volt in late 1924.
The early history of this car is unknown but recent information came to light from a previous French owner. In correspondence by email he stated that the car was stored from WW2 in the village of Fouchères in the department of AUBE. In fact it still carries traces of white wartime paint on one rear wing. A friend of his rescued the car in 1999 when it was recommisioned and put on the road. The French owner then sold the car to Dick Parrott. It would appear that Mr. Parrott kept the car until 2008 having not registered it and it was acquired by the vendor\'s father.
In remarkably original condition it is an opportunity to acquire a real time warp. The Berline body is built to the Weymann patent and has had some repairs to the fabric at some time in the past. The running boards have two tool boxes inset. The interior is original cloth and still features the string magazine/map racks in the roof. There is a full complement of instruments including an eight day Jaeger clock. The odometer read 32,561 kms. which may be correct given the length of time the car was in hibernation. The car is fitted with Marchal electrics including a fine pair of Marchal headlights. At the rear the lights have been changed to rubber diver-type lamps one of which may be indicators. Also fitted are a set of original Houdaille shock absorbers. The car was fitted with new tyres and tubes fairly recently including the twin, side mounted spares.
Included in the sale is a letter from the Society of Automotive Historians dating the car to enable an age related plate to be issued, the number plate Authorisation certificate and a large original Darracq spanner.
Extra details and estimates:
Add to my lots